Pregnancy Nausea - Night-Time Morning Sickness

I want to tell you a little story about pregnancy nausea at night. Yes, you read that right. Morning sickness can occur at night, which is why the term "morning sickness" is such a misleading one.

I was about seven weeks pregnant and everything was going along fine. I was taking my vitamins, my morning sickness didn't seem too bad, and I felt pretty good. Then one night, I was watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien. The minute he started his monologue, my nausea started.

\"baked Chicken\"

This isn't some jab at Conan O'Brien's humor; I actually like his jokes and television show (which is now The Tonight Show.) That first time it happened, the nausea hit me so hard that I barely made it to the bathroom on time. I spent the next hour or so throwing up. I chalked it up to something I had eaten at dinner that evening.

The next day, I felt a little queasy in the morning and had some morning sickness symptoms pop up throughout my day, but all-in-all, I was feeling pretty good again. I had also made it through dinner okay and was considering some dessert while I was watching Friends.

I didn't even make it through the end of the intro song when the nausea hit again. Man, did I feel like garbage. Once again, I vomited off and on for the next couple of hours. I remember how concerned I was that this was the second night in a row that this had happened.

When I had considered what I had eaten that night, which was pasta with marinara-based sauce, and the night before, which was also pasta with marinara-based sauce (yes, that was what I had craved during that pregnancy), I figured it was probably the heavy meals that had turned my stomach. I decided that I would go for something a little less rich the next night to see if I could stop this from happening again.

No such luck. Even though I had eaten a fairly tame dinner of baked chicken breast, the pregnancy nausea and vomiting were back that night. After a couple of hours in the bathroom, I was able to go to sleep. Part of what kept me up was the worrying about my baby.

I thought that there had to be something wrong with my baby. With my previous pregnancy, the symptoms lasted throughout the day, but they were pretty much done once I hit the dinner hour. I couldn't figure out why this kept happening night after night.

When I got up the next day, I called my doctor to make an appointment. I was able to get in to talk to my doctor. I told her what was happening, so she examined me and said that everything looked fine. I asked her about the throwing up at night, and she told me that it's not uncommon for women to experience morning sickness at night. She said that as long as I was able to keep fluids and food in during the day, my body could absorb the nutrients the baby needed to grow. She told me that if the condition worsened, to give her a call.

Although I was quite embarrassed about panicking, I felt much better know that this kind of thing was normal. Reading this story, I hope you have some sort of reassurance that your pregnancy nausea at night is perfectly normal. But, if you are at all worried, you should call your doctor and let him or her know your concerns.

Pregnancy Nausea - Night-Time Morning Sickness

Mia Anderson is a morning sickness expert and author on the subject. To learn more about pregnancy nausea at night [http://www.morningsicknessreliefsecrets.com/pregnancy-nausea-night/], and to sign up for her free Morning Sickness Relief Secrets mini-course, visit [http://www.morningsicknessreliefsecrets.com].